- 3 commissioners suspended for improper dressing in Ebonyi
- CBN issues two new merchant bank licences
- Ekiti PDP accuses ACN of attacking members
- Daniel eulogises HID Awolowo at 97
- Jonathan hails Koroma's re-election
- Collapsed man: Edo dep gov threatens Airhiavbere
- Communal clash: Police arrest gang leader, 12 others in Nasarawa
- Corruption: There ‘ll be no sacred cow - Jonathan
- Amosun’s wife tasks students on reading culture
- Flooding: Dangote committee sets N50bn target
- Adamawa LG election conducted peacefully
- 1999 Constitution: Women group calls for amendment to gender-biased provisions
The secret of honour in Marriage
I welcome you with great delight to this column. Throughout this month, we shall be exploring the topic, The Secret of Honour in Marriage.
Before exploring the secret of honour in marriage, what is marriage all about? Marriage is ordained by God as a unique relationship for a man and a woman to give and receive satisfaction for their healthy needs and desires. God, Himself, instituted Marriage, that’s why it is honourable.
Many people, especially Christians, think that a good marriage is a promise from God, so they wait endlessly for the fulfilment of that promise. To others, they think it comes by wishing, so they keep wishing.
Marriage is a covenant relationship, not a promise. It is a covenant in the sense that it’s a formal contractual agreement between two or more parties, with each party agreeing to do something as a prerequisite to receiving some benefits.
This covenant of marriage involves two parties: God on one hand, and the man (and his wife) on the other. God is the Initiator of the covenant, and His terms of agreement are sealed up in His Word. Man, on his part, is required to obey God’s terms of the agreement as stated in harmony, abundance and fulfilment in the home.
The man and his wife must be ready to obey the terms of agreement as stated in God’s Word, so they can reap the rewards that go with obedience. But disobedience to God will make these rewards elusive. In essence, if the man and his wife are to experience fulfilment in marriage, then they must adhere to the terms of this marriage covenant.
God assures us that if, as man and wife, man fulfils his own responsibility and builds his home, He will ensure that his home remains built, guaranteeing fulfilment for every member of the home.
Fulfilling the terms of marriage covenant to enjoy the blessings imbedded in marriage is triggered by a life in Jesus Christ. This entails confessing your sins and accepting Jesus as your Lord and Saviour. In case you are not yet born again and you would like to, then pray this prayer with me: Dear Lord Jesus, I come to You today as a sinner. I believe You died and rose on the third day for my sins. I accept You as my Lord and Saviour. Make me a child of God today.Share