- Water-tight security in Kano •7 churches, 8 shops razed - Police
- Terror suspect nabbed with N3m •As army uncovers bomb factory
- 2012, deadliest year for journalists - UN
- Court adjourns on missing N12.4bn oil windfall
- Why we cleared Molete under-bridge - Oyo govt
- Court jails courier over $286,400 cash
- Court rejects fridge repairer’s plea to keep Ibori’s bribe money
- Oyo to involve artisans in N.5bn schools rehabilitation contracts
- All set for LG poll today in Benue
- Mrs Braithwaite buried amid encomiums
- Forget presidency, Jonathan’s aide tells ex-military rulers
- FG sends delegation to Onaiyekan’s consecration, Suntai
Is it possible not to show any symptoms of gonorrhoea whereas my wife has some signs? We were both treated for Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD) last August with Ciprotab and some other drugs with a doctor’s prescription.
However, last January, the symptoms reoccurred in my wife. We were both treated. Last week, my wife complained of the same problem while I didn’t show any sign of it. I did Urine MCS test and it was normal. My wife did Pelvic Scan and it was also normal. Please doctor, can this be STD or something else? Can we still be fertile after using Ciprotab? Can I be a carrier with no signs and symptoms? Doctor, we need your help.
Tommy (by SMS)
Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs) are usually more difficult to cure in women than in men therefore, it is likely that the drugs prescribed for your wife could have been inadequate to clear her infection. It is highly likely that what you and your wife have is STD. In view of the large surface area of the female genitourinary tract, women can carry the STD organism for a long time without showing the signs and symptoms. With adequate and prompt treatment, STDs are curable and will not cause infertility.
The way out of your predicament is to see your doctor who will then order a test, called, ‘High Vaginal Swab’ for your wife. This test will confirm on laboratory analysis the kind of infection she has and the appropriate antibiotics for the cure. It will be advisable for you to also be on the same antibiotics as your wife.