- Water-tight security in Kano •7 churches, 8 shops razed - Police
- Terror suspect nabbed with N3m •As army uncovers bomb factory
- 2012, deadliest year for journalists - UN
- Court adjourns on missing N12.4bn oil windfall
- Why we cleared Molete under-bridge - Oyo govt
- Court jails courier over $286,400 cash
- Court rejects fridge repairer’s plea to keep Ibori’s bribe money
- Oyo to involve artisans in N.5bn schools rehabilitation contracts
- All set for LG poll today in Benue
- Mrs Braithwaite buried amid encomiums
- Forget presidency, Jonathan’s aide tells ex-military rulers
- FG sends delegation to Onaiyekan’s consecration, Suntai
I am a 40-year-old civil servant with a very troublesome com-plaint. For the past two years, I have been having hiccups which can be so bad that I find it difficult lying down. The hiccups are worse at weekends especially after a night out with my friends. I have tried several drugs without any improvement.
Your kind response will be appreciated.
The commonest cause of hiccups among your age group is dehydration, especially among those who consume a lot of stimulants such as coffee and alcoholic beverages. This could explain why your hiccups are usually worse at weekends when you would have consumed a lot of alcohol.
My advice will be for you to increase your fluid intake and reduce your alcoholic consum-ption. However, if this does not improve the situation, you may need to subject yourself to a thorough medical examination in order to rule out any medical cause such as liver or kidney problems among others. It is equally advisable that you don’t lie down immediately after a meal, in order to reduce the pressure on your diaphragm which can also cause hiccups.Share