THE Nigerian Army has released the list of 51 senior officers retired with effect from December 31, 2012, just as a large number of them are said to be grumbling over the retirement.
A breakdown of the retired officers shows that 12 are Major-Generals, 24 Brigadier Generals and 15 Colonels.
Among those retired are the former Commander, Infantry Centre Corps, Jaji, Major-General M.D Isah.
However, the Army spokesman, Brigadier-General Mobolaji Koleoso, said that Isah’s retirement had nothing to do with the Jaji bomb blast, as he was already due for retirement, adding that the board of inquiry report on the Jaji incident is being studied and that Nigerians will be informed on the outcome at the appropriate time.
Reacting to the anonymous text message doing the rounds, alleging forceful retirements of some officers, the Director of Army Public Relations noted that it is not common for the Army to respond to such insinuations, but it has deemed it necessary to exercise the right of response in this case to put the facts before the public.
According to him, “the administration of the Nigerian Army (NA), as in any organisation, is governed by rules and regulations. All the 51 officers retired had been notified earlier in the year of their retirement and most of them had voluntarily written regarding same.
“Subsequently, the Army Council approved their retirement from service, having attained the mandatory age ceiling for each rank.”
He added that retirement from any noble profession, “especially from the Nigerian Army is considered a noble exit which every officer hopes and prays for. To now turn around to give such a milestone exercise a negative flavour is, to say the least, mischievous.”
Furthermore, he added that “the present leadership will continue to uphold its core values. In line with the COAS’ vision of transforming the NA into a force better able to meet contemporary challenges and the C-in-C’s transformation agenda, the NA will continue to abide by extant rules and regulations.”