Ebola virus kills 31 in DR Congo, WHO calls for caution
An outbreak of the Ebola virus in the Democratic Republic of Congo has now killed 31 people and could threaten major towns, the World Health Organisation (WHO) has warned.
An epidemic was officially declared on 17 August in the northwestern Orientale Province.
WHO official, Eugene Kabambi told Reuters that the situation was "very serious" and was "not under control".
Ebola is highly contagious and kills up to 90 per cent of people infected.
There is no known treatment or vaccine for the disease, which is spread by close personal contact and causes massive internal bleeding.
The death toll from this latest outbreak, centred on the towns of Isoro and Viadana, has more than doubled over the course of a week to 31.
Up to five health workers are thought to be among the dead.
"The epidemic is not under control. On the contrary the situation is very, very serious," Mr Kabambi warned, speaking in DR Congo's capital Kinshasa.
"If nothing is done now, the disease will reach other places, and even major towns will be threatened," he said.
Last month an outbreak of a more deadly Ebola strain in neighbouring Uganda killed 16 people, but health workers say the two outbreaks do not appear to be related.Share
- ‘ Cases of rape rise to 84% in Nigeria’
- Dana air crash update: 23 aircrash victims’ families yet to receive compensation
- Mimiko inaugurates new Mother & Child hospital today
- N4.56b pension scam: Female accused hospitalised,trial stalled
- Construction workers hail FG’s decision on Lagos-Ibadan expressway
- Senate adjourns plenary for 1 week, dissolves to Appropriation committee.
- Blackout looms as Egbin power plant breaks down
- FMBN, NEXIM, BOA, IB lose N47bn in 6 months - CBN
- FirstBank wins Nigerian Bank of the Year award
- PDP tackles ACN over Tukur’s comments
- Electricity workers threaten strike over Wamakko
- ‘NDIC prosecuted 55 directors, staff of micro finance banks in 2011’
- Judgment in Oni’s appeal stalled, re-fixed for Jan 8
- Slain banker: Deceased had only 3 wounds -Accused’s father
- Appointments: S/West not marginalised —FCC