- ‘ Cases of rape rise to 84% in Nigeria’
- Dana air crash update: 23 aircrash victims’ families yet to receive compensation
- Mimiko inaugurates new Mother & Child hospital today
- N4.56b pension scam: Female accused hospitalised,trial stalled
- Construction workers hail FG’s decision on Lagos-Ibadan expressway
- Senate adjourns plenary for 1 week, dissolves to Appropriation committee.
- Blackout looms as Egbin power plant breaks down
- FMBN, NEXIM, BOA, IB lose N47bn in 6 months - CBN
- FirstBank wins Nigerian Bank of the Year award
- PDP tackles ACN over Tukur’s comments
- Electricity workers threaten strike over Wamakko
- ‘NDIC prosecuted 55 directors, staff of micro finance banks in 2011’
- Judgment in Oni’s appeal stalled, re-fixed for Jan 8
- Slain banker: Deceased had only 3 wounds -Accused’s father
- Appointments: S/West not marginalised —FCC
Where are the fat girls? •As Plus Size Pageant kicks off with fibroid awareness campaign
The first ever Plus Size African Beauty Pageant to be held in Nigeria gathers momentum as the organizer, Vichiano Services Limited, has rolled out its schedule of events and programmes, commencing with an awareness campaign on fibroid and fertility with The fibroid Clinic in Lagos as medical partners.
Vichiano, in an infortainment approach, is using the Miss Plus-size African Beauty Pageant brand as a yardstick to promote the campaign.
In a release made available to newsrooms and signed by Victoria Iheakonye, the casting for the contest would be held in six different zones of the country so as to give room for more participants to showcase their natural endowments.
According to Miss Iheakonye,” plus size is a virtue and blessing which has been turned to a thing of shame, sorrow and humiliation through wrong perception.
We are going to bring the best of the plus size ladies out and save them from the psychological torment and stigma which they are being subjected to. This contest will bring to the fore, the unique attributes and skills of the plus size ladies and let the public realize that they are better in all things than the slim girls.”
Miss Iheakonye called on the plus size ladies to come out en mass for the contest as to prove that “what a slim girl can do, a plus-size girl can do better.”
She revealed that “We just feel that the plus size ladies are being neglected and being looked down upon in the society just because God, in his infinite mercy, decided to bless them more than the others. This is why we are coming out with this contest and making everything simple, affordable and accessible. That is the reason we pegged the registration fees at just 2000 naira only.”
Miss Iheakonye said, “We want participation from all parts of Nigeria, hence we are kicking off the casting sequentially from Lagos on July 24 – 26 July, and move to Ibadan on 29 – 31, followed by Asaba on 3 – 5 August and the train moves to Port – Harcourt on 8 – 10 August, then moves to Uyo between 13 – 15 August and berthed finally in Abuja on 18 – 20 August.”
To make the information available to to all, the organiser has opened a website for the programme “We also realised the need to make the information available to all. We have just constructed a web site.www.plussizeafricanpageant,com where interested ladies can have access to information, register and send information to us too, as we have decked the site with all our call lines and contact addresses, the premium prize which is a car and all other necessary details.”
Miss Iheakonye also revealed that the Plus Size African Beauty Pageant would also embark on advocacy walk for fibroids. “We are also embarking on walk for fibrods as a way to sensitize the nation on the havoc which this disease quietly wreak on womanhood.”Share