- ‘ Cases of rape rise to 84% in Nigeria’
- Dana air crash update: 23 aircrash victims’ families yet to receive compensation
- Mimiko inaugurates new Mother & Child hospital today
- N4.56b pension scam: Female accused hospitalised,trial stalled
- Construction workers hail FG’s decision on Lagos-Ibadan expressway
- Senate adjourns plenary for 1 week, dissolves to Appropriation committee.
- Blackout looms as Egbin power plant breaks down
- FMBN, NEXIM, BOA, IB lose N47bn in 6 months - CBN
- FirstBank wins Nigerian Bank of the Year award
- PDP tackles ACN over Tukur’s comments
- Electricity workers threaten strike over Wamakko
- ‘NDIC prosecuted 55 directors, staff of micro finance banks in 2011’
- Judgment in Oni’s appeal stalled, re-fixed for Jan 8
- Slain banker: Deceased had only 3 wounds -Accused’s father
- Appointments: S/West not marginalised —FCC
Alaiyemore lauds NTDC giant strides
The Oba of Ido-Osun, Oba Adedapo Aderemi 1, The Alaiyemore of Ido-Osun,has commended the giant strides being taken by the Director - General of the Nigerian Tourism Development Corporation (NTDC), Chief Olusegun Runsewe, at raising the consciousness of Nigeria about the import of tourism to Nigeria economy.
Speaking with Tribune Tourism magazine recently at The Lagos Airport Hotel, the widely travelled Oba Alaiyemore said that “when I was in the US in those days and sometimes sneaked home. I always prayed that God should open the eyes of our rulers to see the economic potentialities of tourism as an alternate source of revenue for the nation.
“By that time, tourism was not known, not popular, as it was only synonymous with hotels but now, Nigerians are in the clear picture of what tourism should be as an economic activity which is more relevant to the grass roots.”
Kabiyesi pointed out that “The Almighty God so much blessed this nation with multi-diversities in culture, language, tradition, dances, foods and other intangible and tangible tourism effects and wonderful sites which only need enhancement and development.”
The Royal Majesty disclosed that “what we need in this country is the political will by the President and the National Assembly to lay down the proper structure for building the forte for veritable tourism activity in Nigeria”
Citing the phenomenal rise of Dubai as the hottest destination in the world now, Oba Alayemore said “The transformation of UAE, Dubai, particularly as the tourism Eldorado, is not just of a wishful thinking or a snappy brain wave but an agrarian determination by a prince who did everything humanly possible, including sending his father on exile, before the tourism vision could blossom. Everyone in the UAE is happy for this giant step now”
Oba Alayemore also said that “As our luck would have it, for us now as a nation, we have someone who knows his onions and mandate as the Director-General at the Nigeria Tourism Development Corporation. This great Nigerian is doing well in raising the consciousness and calling the attention of ordinary Nigerians to what tourism is all about”
The royal father said that “Tourism is one of the few inexhaustible resources which a nation can tap into as long as it exists. It is not like oil or tin, neither is it bauxite which can be mined into extinction. Hence, the tourism development strategy must be all- encompassing and relevant to the grass roots.”
Oba Alayemore said that traditional rulers had roles to play in ensuring the enhancement of the tourism sites, festivals and culture hence the tourism authority should always see the traditional rulers as partners in development.
Oba Alayemore revealed that his sixth coronation anniversary coming up soon would be wrapped in festivals of dance and songs and exhibition of the tourism assets of the town.Share