- ‘ Cases of rape rise to 84% in Nigeria’
- Dana air crash update: 23 aircrash victims’ families yet to receive compensation
- Mimiko inaugurates new Mother & Child hospital today
- N4.56b pension scam: Female accused hospitalised,trial stalled
- Construction workers hail FG’s decision on Lagos-Ibadan expressway
- Senate adjourns plenary for 1 week, dissolves to Appropriation committee.
- Blackout looms as Egbin power plant breaks down
- FMBN, NEXIM, BOA, IB lose N47bn in 6 months - CBN
- FirstBank wins Nigerian Bank of the Year award
- PDP tackles ACN over Tukur’s comments
- Electricity workers threaten strike over Wamakko
- ‘NDIC prosecuted 55 directors, staff of micro finance banks in 2011’
- Judgment in Oni’s appeal stalled, re-fixed for Jan 8
- Slain banker: Deceased had only 3 wounds -Accused’s father
- Appointments: S/West not marginalised —FCC
Sunshine loss, a national embarrassment - Maigari
THE President of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) Alhaji Aminu Maigari has described as a ''national embarrassment the 0-2 defeat suffered by the country's representatives in the CAF Champions League, Sunshine Stars against visiting Esperance FC of Tunisia in a Group A match played at Ijebu-Ode on Sunday.
Speaking to sport writers at the Glass house the NFF boss wondered why Sunshine Stars faltered when it mattered most especially against the backdrop that they enjoyed some of the best backings from the nation's football house..
''Honestly, how can one explain this, after all the support the team enjoyed from the standpoint of the NFF and Nigerians, to say the least this is a national embarrassment.”
Maigari said further that with the current dispensation when the nations football is gradually clawing its way back into reckoning considering the recent upsurge in FIFA ranking, only a good outing at the continents premier competition could do justice to the development.
He acknowledge that the task ahead is going to be difficult but that it is not insurmountable if the Akure club put its tactical act together for the remaining group matches.
In a related development, while reacting to the recent Nations Cup draws that pitched the Eagles against the Lone Stars of Liberia.
.''You people should help us drum it into the ears of Keshi and co. they should not underate any opponent now. Nobody should see Liberia as just another small team, because at the board level we will not accept any excuse'', he warned.
Translate this site
Should the local government be a federating unit in the Nigerian nation?
- AFCON 2013: Zambia buys crowd against Eagles
- Eaglets ready for Bamako battle –Garba
- Messi, Ronaldo, Iniesta vie for Balon D’Or
- National Sports Festival: Team Rivers maintains lead
- Sports Festival is for Okagbare, Osayomi - Amaju
- Boxing event, a sham - Okorodudu
- Edo skipper seeks win over Adamawa
- Drogba, Eto’o on World XI list
- Serena Williams wins player award
- NIPOGA 2013: Fed Poly Bida, votes N1.4bn for hosting