- ‘ Cases of rape rise to 84% in Nigeria’
- Dana air crash update: 23 aircrash victims’ families yet to receive compensation
- Mimiko inaugurates new Mother & Child hospital today
- N4.56b pension scam: Female accused hospitalised,trial stalled
- Construction workers hail FG’s decision on Lagos-Ibadan expressway
- Senate adjourns plenary for 1 week, dissolves to Appropriation committee.
- Blackout looms as Egbin power plant breaks down
- FMBN, NEXIM, BOA, IB lose N47bn in 6 months - CBN
- FirstBank wins Nigerian Bank of the Year award
- PDP tackles ACN over Tukur’s comments
- Electricity workers threaten strike over Wamakko
- ‘NDIC prosecuted 55 directors, staff of micro finance banks in 2011’
- Judgment in Oni’s appeal stalled, re-fixed for Jan 8
- Slain banker: Deceased had only 3 wounds -Accused’s father
- Appointments: S/West not marginalised —FCC
Hulk Hogan storms Nigeria
AMERICAN wrestling superstar, Hulk Hogan, is among the foreign matsmen billed to fight in the Universal Promotional Wrestling Federation (UPWF) championship slated for Calabar next month.
A spokesman of the organising committee for the championship told journalists that the event will feature, among other exciting bouts, a world heavyweight title defence involving the UPWF champion, Nigeria’s Osita Offor, also known as De Ultimate Commander, against an American challenger.
According to the spokesman of the organiing committee, Etim Okima, apart from Hulk Hogan, the event will feature such other wrestling super stars as Bobby Lashley, Shelton Benjamin, Slam Shady, Rick Fuller and the tag team partnership of the Powers of Pain, among others.
Okima said the “championship is one of the events lined up for the end of the year festivities in Calabar. But above all, we want to use it to showcase Cross River State as one of the best tourists destinations in Africa.
“We have the Calabar carnival, which is one of the things foreigners look forward to every year; so when you add a wrestling extravaganza with the best known stars in the sport to the annual event, you are guaranteed the best of times.”
“This championship has the blessing of the Cross River State Governor, Senator Liyel Imoke, and because of that we are doing everything possible to ensure a hitch free championship.”
Okima revealed that the UPWF heavyweight champion, De Ultimate Commander, would visit Calabar for the first time on Thursday, adding that he would use that opportunity to see some of the landmark sites in the city.
“The champions will also visit the Power Orphanage, where he will donate food items, clothing’s and other materials to the children before paying a courtesy call on the state Governor, Senator Liyel Imoke, at the government House.”Share
Translate this site
Should the local government be a federating unit in the Nigerian nation?
- AFCON 2013: Zambia buys crowd against Eagles
- Eaglets ready for Bamako battle –Garba
- Messi, Ronaldo, Iniesta vie for Balon D’Or
- National Sports Festival: Team Rivers maintains lead
- Sports Festival is for Okagbare, Osayomi - Amaju
- Boxing event, a sham - Okorodudu
- Edo skipper seeks win over Adamawa
- Drogba, Eto’o on World XI list
- Serena Williams wins player award
- NIPOGA 2013: Fed Poly Bida, votes N1.4bn for hosting