- ‘ Cases of rape rise to 84% in Nigeria’
- Dana air crash update: 23 aircrash victims’ families yet to receive compensation
- Mimiko inaugurates new Mother & Child hospital today
- N4.56b pension scam: Female accused hospitalised,trial stalled
- Construction workers hail FG’s decision on Lagos-Ibadan expressway
- Senate adjourns plenary for 1 week, dissolves to Appropriation committee.
- Blackout looms as Egbin power plant breaks down
- FMBN, NEXIM, BOA, IB lose N47bn in 6 months - CBN
- FirstBank wins Nigerian Bank of the Year award
- PDP tackles ACN over Tukur’s comments
- Electricity workers threaten strike over Wamakko
- ‘NDIC prosecuted 55 directors, staff of micro finance banks in 2011’
- Judgment in Oni’s appeal stalled, re-fixed for Jan 8
- Slain banker: Deceased had only 3 wounds -Accused’s father
- Appointments: S/West not marginalised —FCC
The inter-religious council recently came out with the decision to regulate establishment of places of worship in Nigeria with a view to checkmating their proliferation, which is growing by the day.
In his view, however, the Chief Imam of the University of Abuja, Dr Taofeek Abdulazeez, told the Tribune
Islamic News during the week that the body should first find the causes of the proliferation, which he said was a reaction to certain circumstances.
“Proliferation of mosques and churches is a reaction to something. This is what NIRECON ought to find out in the first instance instead of saying that they would regulate it. You will discover that most of those who set up these places of worship are those who don’t find jobs to do and believe they could make ends meet establishing those places. Also, most of their patrons are those with one problem or the other,” Dr Abdulazeez, who was a one-time Chief Imam of the University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, said.
Meanwhile, Dr Abdulazeez has called on government at all levels in Nigeria to ensure the security of life and property in the country, adding that it should also provide job opportunities for Nigerians to stem the tide of unemployment in the country.Share