- ‘ Cases of rape rise to 84% in Nigeria’
- Dana air crash update: 23 aircrash victims’ families yet to receive compensation
- Mimiko inaugurates new Mother & Child hospital today
- N4.56b pension scam: Female accused hospitalised,trial stalled
- Construction workers hail FG’s decision on Lagos-Ibadan expressway
- Senate adjourns plenary for 1 week, dissolves to Appropriation committee.
- Blackout looms as Egbin power plant breaks down
- FMBN, NEXIM, BOA, IB lose N47bn in 6 months - CBN
- FirstBank wins Nigerian Bank of the Year award
- PDP tackles ACN over Tukur’s comments
- Electricity workers threaten strike over Wamakko
- ‘NDIC prosecuted 55 directors, staff of micro finance banks in 2011’
- Judgment in Oni’s appeal stalled, re-fixed for Jan 8
- Slain banker: Deceased had only 3 wounds -Accused’s father
- Appointments: S/West not marginalised —FCC
No headache should be discountenanced—Expert
Considering the fact that headache can be a source of great misery, disrupt personal and family life and lead to loss of productivity, a medical expert, Dr Stephen Oluwole has warned that no form of headache should be discountenanced.
Dr Stephen Oluwole, a consultant neurologist, gave the advice in a lecture titled “Headache: Beyond pain in the head”, that was organised by The Society for The study of Pain, Nigeria to commemorate the global year against headache.
The expert stating that many people interpret headache as pain in a portion of the head, declared that pain anywhere in the entire head can be termed as headache.
He stated, “for instance, facial pain may cause headache, but it is not usually described as headache.”
Dr Oluwole while highlighting causes of headache to include injury, infections like malaria and meningitis, stress, lack of sleep, and disease conditions such as tumours and hypertension, said the treatment of headache is always based on its cause.
According to him, “headache may occur in two-thirds of patients with brain tumours, but headache is not usually the first symptom.
Usually, when there is headache, it is deep seated, non-throbbing and physical activity and changes in posture may aggravate the headache.”
The medical expert declared that with some types of headache, it was not just the pain the person feels, adding “when someone has headache and says his life is miserable and cannot go to work, it is not just headache that is the issue. It is beyond all of this.”
Dr Oluwole declared that headache to be a very common problem that is experienced by all age groups, endured to different extent by different people and which people cope with differently.Share